Objective & Function
The functions of the Community are to promote, co-ordinate and harmonize all activities relating to the pepper economy with a view to achieving the following broad objectives:
- To co-ordinate and stimulate research on technical and economic aspects of production, including research on diseases affecting the pepper plant, research on development of disease-resistant and high-yielding varieties.
- To facilitate the exchange of information on programmes and policies and on any other aspects relating to production.
- To develop programmes for increasing consumption in traditional and new markets, including programmes of co-operation in promotion activities.
- To intensify and co-ordinate research on new uses of pepper.
- To further joint action for the relaxation of tariff and non-tariff barriers and for the removal of other obstacles in trade.
- To co-ordinate standards of quality so as to facilitate international marketing.
- To keep under constant review developments relating to supply, demand and prices of pepper.
- To carry out investigations into the causes and consequences of fluctuations in the price of pepper and suggest appropriate solutions.
- To provide statistical and other information on pepper production, consumption, trade and prices including techniques of production and consumption forecasting.
- To undertake other activities and functions that may be considered desirable in the interests of the world pepper economy.